Hello North Seattle Indivisibles! Here are our weekly calls to action!
Urgent: Oppose ACA Repeal
House Republicans are planning to ram through an Affordable Care Act (ACA) repeal bill that will jeopardize health care coverage millions of Americans. They shared a draft of their bill with only 40 hours for the public and even other Members of Congress (MoCs) to review. Republicans are also rushing to approve the bill without releasing a formal cost estimate from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO), which analyzes how much federal legislation will cost or save American taxpayers—known as a “score” (see our CBO explainer for more information on scoring). Americans deserve an open and honest debate for more than two days about a bill that will cause millions of people to lose health insurance coverage.
Votes on the GOP plan in two key committees are planned for March 8 at 10:30am EST without a cost estimate. Supporters of the bill want to get it through the House before they head home for the next Recess (April 8-23). They do not want to face you at town halls and other events in their districts and have to answer questions about their plans for to replace the ACA. Call your representative in the House between now and Wednesday, March 8 and tell them to oppose any congressional action on the proposed ACA repeal bill without a transparent, thoughtful process, including a public CBO score. The American public deserves to know the effects of a bill of this magnitude.
And, if the bill does not preserve the core values of the ACA—like robust and affordable healthcare options for all Americans covered under the ACA—tell your representative to oppose repeal.
General Calls to Action:
Oppose REINS Act: This act will hamper the government’s ability to impose regulations that affect public safety.
From ACLU Group:
Reach out to your local mosque, synagogue, Jewish community center, Sikh temple, or other places where people currently facing increased threats may go to show/share support. It’s amazing what a card or kind word can do. Please send the results of your outreach to email@example.com
From Environment Group:
Call Senators Cantwell & Murray in opposition to Senate Joint Resolution 18, which would allow the killing of bears & wolves on national wildlife refuges. Alaskans oppose the bill by a 2-1 margin.
From Conflicts of Interest Group
Call on our Senators and Representatives to support SB 65, which will request Trump’s Tax returns.
Additional Calls to Action
Additional calls to action are housed at https://actionnetwork.org/groups/indivisible-north-seattle
Please send new calls to action that are relevant to the WHOLE group to ActionNetwork@indivisiblenorthseattle.org
We have a new instagram! Send photos from your marches, protests, rallies, classes and actions to firstname.lastname@example.org
There continues to be confusion regarding our online presence. We have four websites, this is a lot! It is confusing! The purpose of having separate online entities is: 1) to accommodate all members with varying levels of technological expertise 2) different websites/groups/social media give different tools to admins and members 3) To maximize our online presence for outreach, especially to Millennials
- Our Facebook PAGE: This is a tool that allows admins to communicate with the group without having important items “buried” in the chatter of the Facebook Group
- Our Facebook GROUP: This is a forum that allows members to freely communicate with each other. We also have subgroups for each breakout group to help facilitate communication without “clogging” the main group.
- Our Website: A Blog and website. Useful for publishing informative articles, housing links to all our pages, as well as for those who prefer not to use Facebook
- ActionNetwork: This is where we house Calls to Action. ActionNetwork provides tools to allow you to contact your Members of Congress quickly and easily.
Upcoming events this week
- Mar 5th: Benefit for Standing Rock
- Mar 6th: Pramila Jayapal Town Hall
- Mar 7th: Investigate Russia Rally
- Mar 7th: Beyond the Incarceration State
- Mar 7th: Ezra Levin, cofounder of Indivisible, Lecture
- Mar 8th: A day without a woman
- Mar 8th: International Working Women’s day march/rally
- Mar 8th: Immigration Information forum
- Mar 8th: Shaun King lecture
- Mar 8th: Coffee, cake and Islam
- Mar 9th: Lake Forest Park City Council: Sanctuary city resolution
- Mar 10: We rise with Standing Rock
- Mar 11: Kids and Race relations Lecture
- Mar 11: 5k run against Defund Planned Parenthood
- Mar 11: 4th District Town Hall
- Mar 12: South Seattle Stand Together Rally
Full details for all events on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pg/indivisiblenorthseattle/events or the website
Thank you for all you do! Stay strong, and keep fighting!